Monday, February 20, 2012

Toastmasters !

Hi ! Hello! remember me? I sure hope so because i'm back!

Oh yeah! And i am so excited because so many things happened in my life while i was gone... er out. One of them is entering a new horizon of my life: I joined a TOASTMASTER club! Ah yes, it is a fun thing really. I also visit other TM club together with my two beautiful daughters, plus you get to learn more English words, English instructions in speaking, listen English speakers; talk impromptu English speeches and more. Trust me- everything is English! Except of course the speakers! And because i am now a member, i get to talk in English too! So here is my fist piece as Basic Speech # 1 entitled:

The Chameleon... in me!

Chameleons are small creatures of the lizard family which moves slow and dwell on trees and have been known to have the ability to change skin color according to their mood.

Good evening fellow toastmasters!

Like a chameleon I’ve been living quite a moody life too! I switch roles every so often, depending on the mood I’m in; maybe because, I wanted to blend in, to connect, to mingle or simply to belong. These moods were highlighted even more when I got married before I finished college.

I became a doctor’s wife @ 20! And since then my role as a young adult drastically shifted into a married woman. Perhaps I felt I was ready for marriage, but married to a medical doctor wasn’t as easy as I thought. With off-hours schedules of patient calls; private clinic services and civic meetings, I felt all his activities didn’t do justice to me as a young wife.

Then my first daughter came followed by another five years after the first one. I became a mom! And still the doctor’s wife @ certain times of the day (if you know what I mean). I remember one sunny Sunday morning when two of my daughters were still little. We were all excited and ready for the beach when suddenly the phone rang. My husband took the call and after a while he told us to cancel our beach trip because of that distress call from a patient who needs more of his time. We all sat down with a frown.

But like a chameleon I was quick to the rescue and comforted my two little girls and enticed them to a promise that it would be better next time. Sure enough I had my moments also. But, I felt I should be equipped as a mother and a wife to handle and face any unprecedented circumstances that may arise in the future. I tried to improve myself by reading books and magazines and what-have- you, to know exactly how is it to be a wife of a doctor and a true-blue mom.

Years passed, my third daughter came. My role as the mom and the wife went on smoothly but when she reached the fourth grade, I got bored. I thought why not go back to school and finish where I left off. Imagine, after 22 years, I was a student again! Get this: @ 6 in the morning I was the mom, cooking breakfast for five and two hours later I was a full time student! Ah, It was an exciting chapter of my life!

Like a chameleon I blended in; sat on the armchair while i listened to most of the lectures and took exams. I got connected while hanging out with 18 yr olds; exchanged stories of men and the ever powerful word: L-O-V-E. Some fantastic moments I had! And I mingled with the teachers who used to be my batch mates during my early college years. It really felt great to be in school again since learning has always been my passion. A college student @ 42 didn’t feel so bad after all. And besides, I believe there are no rules when to stop learning.

Soon enough I earned my degree in Architecture a year or two after that; got my license, and pursued more studies in Graduate School which earned me another degree (M.A. History).

Ah yes! I have become a historian; a lady architect; a researcher; a designer; a career woman.

And right now, as I am standing here in front of you, I am a friend; your friend. A fellow toastmaster! And in a few minutes I’ll be a mom beside these two lovely ladies then later tonight I’ll be the doctor’s wife again when I get home. Like a chameleon, I am all these, depending on my mood.

Good evening!

2 Comments:

  1. ava said...
    Hi there Ms.Chameleon! :) Glad to find your blogsite Te. Hope you could write more this year!
    Ms.B said...
    hi dearie,
    i hope so too! Thanks for visiting!

Post a Comment