Friday, March 31, 2006

That is the question!

I remember one time when I was yet on my third year of high school, I wrote on a page of my friend’s slum book- ambition: to be a nurse.

I was kind of high on the idea of being a nurse; taking care of people even though I do not really know them. Sure enough my dream was only a dream, because when my mom knew about that, she made it clear to me what a nurse actually does, and that is: doctor’s servants. Can you imagine how I felt?

Well, nurse or not, I am serving a doctor right now because I married one! And do you want to know how it feels like? Nahh... I’d rather not. But this I can tell you: I’m happy I am an architect. That should give you and idea.

Survey showed, more than half the nursing population in most hospitals have gone out of the country to seek greener pastures abroad. And I think they surely have! Imagine earning $100 up to $135 a day! How would you call that?

In a way, it is fulfilling to know these hardworking local nurses pour out much of their energy just to earn as much as they could though away from home to be able to send back here to their loved ones bulk fruits of their labor.

But one sour truth faces the country at present: shortage of excellent nurses for our very own sick “kababayans”. Plus some doctors have studied nursing hoping they too could earn more over there than a bona fide doctor does locally here.

Well, different strokes for different folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment