Sunday, June 12, 2005

Tatarin!

Image hosted by Photobucket.comAs a way of expressing the joy in celebrating our Independence Day today, allow me to share with you this moment of gladness through this post.

Movies for me eludes one's imagination almost immediately and embeds in our minds a fantasy, which stays longer than your entire childhood. I admit Philippine cinema never really captures my heart, unless the storyline runs classics, stories of war, of love and/or of history. But when I came across this film, it made my mind ponder more and thought I was proven wrong.

The film is entitled:
TATARIN. Literally it means – chopping into pieces. But in this film it is portrayed with more than one meaning. i.e. The Filipina freedom of sexual expression, social liberation and least we forget- political awareness. It is where the role of a Filipina is challenged in the sense that, women in the past were merely subordinates to their husbands and has little say - if none at all - of the affairs of the household but cook, clean, nurse the children and serve her mate. This is a highly acclaimed play by our very own national artist Nick Joaquin (1918- 2004) and was made into a movie by Tikuy Aguiluz just recently.

In observance of our 107th anniversary celebration of independence from the ruling arms of the Spaniards, this is my way of dedicating my freedom day as a true-blue Filipina in the 21st century.

MABUHAY ANG FILIPINA!

Related post: Filipina

Note: A poem of mine carefully address this post too. (read on)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment